Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexing MS Word Footers

Hi Again,

It doesn't seem that the Word plug-in indexes the footers. Is this true?

If so, is there any plan to do this? All my document numbers are in footers and it would be helpful if users could search for them.

Thanks,

Michele
    Michele J. Jones, PMP

Static text that is contained within a Word document's page header and footer is indexed.

However the page number is not static text, and the page numbering is recalculated on the fly based on the printer you are using, your available fonts and the paper size. So two people looking at the same Word document might not always agree on what text is on what page.

In short, Zoom doesn't index all the pages numbers, but does do header & footer text.

Comment

Well that makes sense. Yes, it is searching in the footers, I'm just getting my rules wrong.

The document numbers (in footers) all start with 'C3-' like C3-7915. So it doesn't find the document '7915' because it doesn't think its a word. I'm allowing hypens to join words so then doesn't that mean that 7915 is a word?

I'm guess I'm confused. What would you suggest to make the search find 7915?

Thanks again and good day,

Michele
      Michele J. Jones, PMP

Comment

I'm allowing hypens to join words so then doesn't that mean that 7915 is a word
        The opposite in fact. If hypens are join characters, then the word will be, "C3-7915".

So you could search using wild cards, like,

Or you can turn off hypens as join characters, which will result in two words being put into the index, "C3" and "7915".

Comment

Turning off hypens works perfectly. Now people can search for the document 7915 to even find C3-7915. Cool. Thanks!
          Michele J. Jones, PMP

Comment

Working...
          X