No announcement yet.

Can the filename be part of the index?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the filename be part of the index?

First of all, I love ZOOM!

My indexed content consists mainly of PDF files. Some of the files are very old papers, consisting mostly of instruction books and parts lists for pumps, that were scanned as PDF files. If ZOOM cannot "read" any words on the pdf it seems to just skip the file and it does no become part of the index. The problem is that there is still valid (and valuable) information that people are looking for. The file name is the model number of the pump. So my question is: Can the pdf file name still be part of the index even if there are no "readable" words in the file?

Example: www.depcopump.com search for 8740
    1 result for pump end cover plates but nothing for the pump itself
    look here: www.depcopump.com/datasheets/jabsco/ and scroll down to see 8740.PDF and 8740F.PDF

Thanks!

I think I answered my own question, sort of.
    Since the names of the files I'm looking for are 8740.PDF and 8740F.PDF you must search for 8740* to get them to show up. The characters 8740 do not stand alone. This will not help visitors to my web site however. They will simply not have a clue about needing to use the * along with the item number they are looking for. Bummer. Any suggestions?

Comment

Hopefully someone else can learn from my floundering so I'm posting as I'm learning...
      I think my problem will be solved if I un-check the box that allows dots to join words under the indexing options tab. I'm going to un-check the dashes and underscore as well. Most of my searches will be for numbers anyway like 920-0003. Most people just call this part a 920, the rest (-0003) is assumed but unless I un-check those options it will not be found.

Thanks for all the input everyone! Haahaa!

Comment

Yes, you are correct. Your PDF files just contain images, without any text. So searching them isn't easy.

You are also correct about the join characters.

You could still edit the PDF properties (meta data) for each PDF file however, to add some text. At the moment your PDF files appear to have no title, no subject and no keywords.

Or you could use .desc files to add meta data to each file. See the users guide for details about .desc files.

Comment

Working...
        X