Bug in ZOOMSTOP/ZOOMRESTART Function?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug in ZOOMSTOP/ZOOMRESTART Function?

I just used the skip function (ZOOMSTOP AND ZOOMRESTART) for the first time, combined with the jump to and highlight feature (using JS). I find that if the "skipped" part of an html page contains a word that is also in the non-skipped part of the page, then both are highlighted and the word in the "skipped" section can be jumped to if it comes (in the code) before the word in the non-skipped section. For example, I have a 30 page site with an identical set of links down one side of each page. I put a zoom skip command in for these sets on each page. One of these link captions is "pets". Without the skip command, searching for "pets" would give a result listing all 30 pages, since that link caption is on all pages. With the skip command, only the page concerned with pets is in the results, which is what I want. But, going to that page highlights both the word "pets" in the non-skipped text and the word "pets" in the caption link, (which is not what I want) and the jump is to that caption link (which should have been skipped). Hope this is clear enough.
    Walter K.

The function of the ZOOMSTOP AND ZOOMRESTART tags is to prevent parts of your page being indexed.

As you have found this can help improve the relevancy of the search results when searching for words that appear on every page of your site.

The highlighting function was designed to highlight all occurrences of the key search word on a particular page.

We never intended the ZOOMSTOP tags to effect word highlighting or the jump function.

So both these functions seem to be working as designed & this behavior is not a bug. But I can see how on some sites, for some search words, where both ZOOMSTOP and highlighting are in use, implementing a feature like you are asking for would be useful. If we get enough people asking for it we'll investigate how hard it is to implement.

Comment

Working...
    X