Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exact phrase searching

Hi,

I index an awful lot of unique words (over a million) and exact phrase "" searches often crash Zoom, even if the optimisation slider is set to slow search and it is set to the CGI version.

I just need to know if I get a better webserver it will solve the issue.

It's just that I really need these exact phrases to work and it does happen rather a lot.

I think it is likely it is my webserver - in which case it's my fault - just wanted your take on it - will a better server mean Zoom can do these searches? If so, do you have any specs that the server should have?
    Last edited by will; Apr-07-2007, 11:32 PM.

Hard to know what is the problem without knowing the exact error message and doing some tests.

It could be a bug in our software, but we are not aware on any like this in the latest version of the software.

It could be a corrupt set of index files causing a problem (we see this a fairly often as a result of people uploading half of the files, or uploading in ASCII FTP mode instead of binary FTP mode).

It could be a setting on your server. In particular Apache is known to kill scripts that run too long or use too much RAM if it is not correctly configured.

If the set of index files is not too huge you could zip them up and place them on your server. We can then download them and test them.

You could also install Apache on your local machine and do some testing on your local machine. At least this way you have full control over the server settings. Or you can use the Zoom Front End for testing without a web server.

If everything looks good on your local machines, then start looking at what is wrong on your server. If it doesn't work on your local machine, then it is either a bug, or a corrupted set of index files.

Comment

Hi,

That was very helpful!

I used the Zoom FE as you suggested and tried a few of the searches that I know screw up on my webserver.

They gave the high quality results that I hoped they would.

Also, I allow Zoom to automatically upload the files when indexing finishes, so I don't think that it is the way the FTP uploads them either.

So, as expected, it's the webserver (Vodahost) I think.

Comment

Working...
      X