Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom cgi and quadCore CPUs

Hi all,
    we observed an interesting zoom(cgi) behavior.
    While indexing our website
    http://harvester.fzk.de with ~280.000 pages
    (we generate 4x indices 70.000 pages each).

If we run Zoomsearch via a Xeon CPUs 2x Quadcore,
    the cgi version generates (sometimes, that is the funny part)
    strange error messages. (Looks like the cgi is killed before end of execution).

Good news: If we generate the index on a Dual core machine and upload it to the Quad-Core server -> Everything is perfect.

Thought that might be of interest...

Greeting from Heidelberg/Karlsruhe institute of technology

Urban

p.s. by the way .....excellent jobs ...we really like Zoomsearch...

We have a similar 2 core and 8 core machines but don't see any problems. (But to be fair the 8 core machine is a new machine that we haven't done a lot of testing on yet).

The set of index files should be identical, byte for byte, irrelevant of what type of CPU it was created on.

I think it is much more likely that the problem is not related to the CPU type but instead related to some other factor like the execution time.

For example, there is a known issue with Apache killing PHP and CGI scripts if they run too long, this can happen if Apache is mis-configured.

Comment

quad core

Thanks for the info ...i read the "cgi-Apache" post...

all i can say (i am not really a pro )...is if we generate the index on any other machine and COPY it afterwards to the quad core server ....
      Same apache , same everything it --> perfect...

Scenario1:
      quad core server, apache (xampp), zoomindexer on the same server ->
      (gives sometimes errors)

Scenario2:
      quad core server, apache, (xampp) zoomindex on a different machine but index files copied to the server above. -> perfect....fast...sexy......

Anyway it works...thats what matters...
      Thanks ...

Comment

OK if it works that's fine. Lets' not fix something that isn't broken. But if you do continue to have a problem, can you post details of any error messages that you see, plus a link to the search function so that we can see the problem. We might also need a copy of you index files to test with here.

Comment

Working...
        X