File size. - Partial indexing of large files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File size. - Partial indexing of large files

Hello on the enterprise edition limits in config. I was told that if the maximum file size is reduced, it will only search part of the page but not keep the page from being downloaded. Yet I notice when I do an idex it says files could not be downloaded because their file sizes were too big. This is verfied when I try to search for a page, it is not there. So does reducing the file size keep bigger pages from being searched completely? Please let me know, thanks. Perry

Maximum file size indexed is set at 100kb.

I was told that if the maximum file size is reduced, it will only search part of the page.
    I am not sure who told this this. But this is not correct. Files larger than the limit are not downloaded. Maybe you are getting confused with the "Limit words per file" setting.

Here are the details from the Zoom help file.

Max. file size scanned
    This is the maximum size in KB (kilobytes) of a file that can be scanned. This is not the total size of all files indexed, just the size of the largest file to index. Also note that it is specified in KB, which means 1024 KB = 1 MB.

The notice message that appears when you specify over 10 MB is only there to warn users who accidentally over-specify this amount, due to users confusing KB with bytes.

Limit words per file
    This allows you to specify the maximum number of words to index from each file. Once this limit is reached, the indexer will move on to indexing the next file. This can be useful if you are indexing a very large archive of content, and only consider the first 100 words on a page to be useful.

Another example is when you are indexing PDF documents, which may contain many pages. Using this feature you can limit the indexing to the words on the first page (with an approximation of 600 words per page for example).

Comment

Working...
    X