No announcement yet.

French Site - Query Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have uploaded the set of working example files I made to our server. So instead of us trying to reproduce the problem with your files (which we don't have), you can try and provoke the problem by editing our files or work out what is different by comparing your files to our files.

You can download the set of files here,
    http://www.wrensoft.com/test/french/accenttest.zip

and see it working here,
    http://www.wrensoft.com/test/french/...uery=m%C3%AAme
    http://www.wrensoft.com/test/french/...oom_query=meme

This set of index files were generated with the UTF-8 selected in Zoom 5 on a Windows XP machine. I tested the search behaviour on Windows/PHP and Unix/PHP and it was the same.

Comment

Thanks! I'll download it and test it this evening!

Comment

Hi

Did you find a solution for this. I am having the same issue.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by m00di View Post
          Hi

Did you find a solution for this. I am having the same issue.

Thanks
          m00di, I have been meaning to take the time to test this and get back to David. I have been swamped with other project work. This is still very important to me. Please contribute to this thread with your own findings and maybe David will be able to offer a fix for this.

Comment

Further Work

David, I did further work on this problem. I made another copy of the whole site and did a find and replace function to replace all of the ASCII characters with normal characters. I did download the most recent version of your software to use in crawling the site again.

I am restricted by doing offline searches. I don't know if that makes a difference. I am sure you would say that it does not. ...If Zoom would obey my online robots.txt file, I could try to crawl the site online to see if there would be a difference. This is another reason why you would not be able to crawl the site and do testing.

I see a slight improvement, after the work I did and possibly the work you have done on your program. I see that if I do a one word search with the accents in the word, it does come up in the results. It appears that Zoom did indeed index the accented words. If I do a multi-word search, it also gives results, but it's hard to tell exactly what kind of results I am getting. What I have tried to do is doing the multi-word search in quotes, where there are words with accented characters. This does not work. So, this appears to be where your indexing breaks down.

Also, the words are not being highlighted, if I do searches with accented words. This is disappointing, of course. I hope you will be able to fix this.

I did download your files and took a look at them. I also reviewed the searches you performed. Again, I saw that you did not try to perform any searches with two or more words in quotes, where the words are accented. This kind of search is critical on my site.

I look forward to your further responses. Based on m00di's posts, it's evident that others are also interested in this being resolved.

Comment

As far as we are aware is there no issue to be resolved. We did some testing and posted the results of our tests (see above). But didn't see the problem you are talking about. Once you get the config correct, it works fine for French as far as we know and no one as provided an example to the contrary.

So unless you are prepared to provide exact details of your configuration and copies of your input files we don't plan on investigating this issue. Otherwise there is nothing for us to investigate.

Comment

Working...
              X