PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to index 432,822 files - NO ASP?! - not enough ram?! - ARG!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to index 432,822 files - NO ASP?! - not enough ram?! - ARG!

I'm having a problem creating an index. I'm running server 2003 with IIS and because I have 432,822 files i have to use CGI to create the index. I'd rather use ASP, but zoom has this 65000 record limit. When I go to create the index with CGI, I get an error that states that I need more RAM (the server currently has 1GB and zoom is asking for 1.6GB).

2 questions

1. is there anyway to work around the 65,000 record limit so I can use ASP?

2. If I have to use CGI, is there anyway to work around the RAM issue?

Any help is greatly apperciated.

Thanks
    Andy
    Last edited by anbaxter; Nov-22-2006, 08:33 PM.

The ASP script is limited to searching 65,000 documents. We could remove this limit but then you would complain that the performance is too slow. It might take up to 30sec to search 400K documents in ASP.

The CGI 'script' is at least 10 times faster than ASP.

The best solution to the RAM issue is to switch to using V5 of Zoom. (currently in beta but stable now). It uses less RAM and the search times are faster.

Comment

I was reading a little about the V5 and looked at your memory compairson. You said that V5 uses 19% less ram then V4. If thats true and V4 is asking for 1.6GB then I'll still need 1.29GB of ram for V5. Is that about right or am I wrong?

Thanks

Comment

The example of 19% saving was for indexing only about 1300 pages. The improvements will be much more dramatic as the number of pages indexed grows to beyond 250,000 files. Reductions in RAM usage of 50% or more, are to be expected in that case.

Comment

Working...
        X