Adding single URLs to the index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding single URLs to the index

Hi. I'm evaluating search software for a client. It's a large index, > 30k pages currently, and may be twice that if we decide to index our affiliate sites also. I'm looking for a method to add single URLs to the index when we add new content (maybe 100 pages a day), so that we don't have to reindex the entire site when new content is added. I'm not sure how to accomplish this with Zoom, or if it's possible. I see in the docs and some forum posts the "index single page only" option, but I'm unsure how that is going to work. If I build the entire index, then I just want to add pages to it, can I add the new pages and they will just be added to the index, or will it try to create a new index based on these pages and overwrite the existing one? Any other thoughts on this? Thanks for any input!

Adding a single page or a list of new pages to an existing set index of index files is possible in V5 of the software (V5 is a beta release at the moment).

See this post for details about V5 incremental indexing.

Note that it is much more efficient to add a list of 100 new pages to the index in a single operation, than to add 1 page to the index 100 times.

The add operation will read the existing set of index files, merge the content from the new files in the list, and write out a new set of index files. This could be done from a command line in an automated fashion, or from the Zoom user interface.

Comment

Great

Just what I needed to know. Thanks.

Comment

When you say "Note that it is much more efficient..." do you mean efficiency in terms of how compact the data is or in terms of the cpu and the number of operations required to index?
        AG!

Comment

Adding a list of page at a time, is more efficent in terms of how long the operation will take to complete and thus how long the CPU, RAM and disk will be loaded for.

If you are only doing page adds (and nor updates and deletes) the index remains fairly compact.

Comment

Working...
          X