Stray Characters on Results Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stray Characters on Results Page

I'm gettings stray characters in the search results page.

Having used the free version of Zoom Search Engine successfully in a NetObjects Fusion (NOF) site, I upgraded to the Pro version.

Using the NOF method of inserting code for general guidance (http://www.lansrad.com/html/tutzoom0.html ), I inserted Zoom Search Engine input and output code into a site created within Serif WebPlus 10. I generated and uploaded all the index files.

Search box and submit button appear and work OK. But there are stray characters appearing in the upper left of the search_template.html page created in WP10. (See attached graphic.) They appear to be inserted before the doctype in the HTML.

Also some punctuation characters are not appearing correctly i.e. apostrophes. (Also shown on attached graphic.)

The test input form is here http://s108764404.websitehome.co.uk/search.html. The two input areas are just experiments with different ways of insering code into WP10, both work the same way.

I strongly suspect this problem is either operator error or lies with either the Zoom code I cut and pasted in or the way WP10 handles it.

Any advice / guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by biggreenfurrything; Sep-19-2006, 11:08 PM.
    Mark

Your web pages appear to be using the charset UTF-8.

Did you set Zoom to also use UTF-8? After you have changed this setting you need to re-index your site.

I also checked your HTML source code for the page in question. I saw this,

Code:
    00004bbdh: 47 6C 6F 75 63 65 73 74 65 72 E2 80 99 73 20 6F ; Gloucester’s o
    So it doesn't look like you are using a standard apostrophe character (hex 27) and instead are using something else (hex E2, 80, 99) and this being replaced with the strange characters that you see.

Comment

Many thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply.

Operator error. Setting Zoom to use UTF -8 cured the problem. Apostrophes are also showing correctly.

Great stuff. Looking forward to v5.
      Mark

Comment

Working...
      X