file does not begin with %PDF-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file does not begin with %PDF-

I have created a catalogue (from part of a web site) of some 320 HTML pages with embedded PDF files.

When I test the CD on the computer on which the index and the CD was created everything works perfect and displays correctly. I have Adobe Acrobat V7.0.8

When I use the CD on any other computer and call a page with an embedded PDF file I get the message: File does not begin with '%PDF-".

I appreciate any help

Thank you.

I don't think this is problem related to Zoom.

The error, "File does not begin with %PDF", sounds like a general HTML / PDF problem. A search on Google turned up dozens of pages describing the error and solutions. Here is a summary,

Acrobat is claiming the file is not a PDF file becuase the content of the file does not start with the characters %PDF.

If you look at the bytes inside a PDF file the first 4 bytes should look like this,

There seems to be many ways this can happen. The file could be corrupt. It could be badly saved from an E-mail program, it might not be a PDF file at all. But this doesn't explain why it works on one PC and not another.

It seems it is also possible to get this error if Acrobat is not installed correctly. This happened more often with older versions of Acrobat. In this case Adobe recommends configuring Acrobat as a helper application, not a plug-in. (Choose Edit > Preferences > Internet for Acrobat V6). See Adobe for full details.

Comment

Working...
    X