PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few errors in the results. I am sure I missed something.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few errors in the results. I am sure I missed something.

I finally got the PHP to work. When English is the 2nd language, life can adventurous. In case someone else has the same questions about starting with PHP, the website must first be indexed on the local machine just like it is done with the cgi script.

What is wrong:

1. When I click on the result pages [Result Pages: 1 2 3 4 Next >>] it takes me back to the main search page, not to the rest of the results.

2. How do I restrict the search results to the exact words in the query? I used ZOOM KEYWORDS in the Headers and I want the search to be restricted to these ZOOM Words.

3. How do I add a list of specific words to the zoom_dictionnary to keep the results focused. This article database can have the same words in all the articles but in a different context. I basically need to create a topic specific dictionnary, which will grow over time.

4. The script is loaded to the server, how do I set it to spider once per week and to issue reports once per week. I could not find anything in the advanced Zoom settings. Where is that feature located?

Thanks;[/b]
    momora
    inquiring mind?

1) This might be an incorrect setting of the link back URL in the Zoom configuration on the advanced tab. It is hard to guess at the cause of the problem without seeing the problem. It would help a lot of you post the URL to your search function.

2) By default a search will only match the exact search words used. Do you mean that you want to not index any of the page content and only search for meta data? If yes, you can control what is indexed from the "indexing options" tab in Zoom.

3) If you are not searching the pages on your site, maybe you don't really need a search engine? Maybe a simple menu with a list of topics is enough? You can however associate words with pages by adding those words into the page meta data.

4) The search script doesn't do any spidering. The indexer part of the software does the spidering. You can schedule it to spider and upload from the Tools menu.

-----
    David

Comment

More questions

1. What is a good link back page. Please give a generic example. Should it be the base url?

2. I will revisit the indexing tab. What is the selector for metadata only in the tabs, there are several tabs?

3. Already did that. Added list of words to the metadata and even call this ZOOWKeywords

[quote]Please tell me how I can add a list of words to the zoom_dictionary.[/quote]

I understood spider to mean spidering the server since the content is in a database. I think I read that could be done. I have nothing to upload from my pc it all goes directly into the dB. Am I wrong?

Thanks
      momora
      inquiring mind?

Comment

1. The best is that you leave it at its default setting (which is blank) unless you are an advanced user. You didn't provide any details about your site so we can't comment more on this.

2. There are not several "indexing options" tabs. There is only one. As stated in the help file,
        "You can specify the parts of a page that should be included or excluded from indexing here. This includes the page title, content, and filename. Meta information can also be indexed such as meta descriptions, keywords, and author information. By excluding certain sections of pages, you can make index data files smaller and the indexing procedure faster, and less memory intensive."

3. OK good. This will add words to the dictionary when you reindex the pages.

If you have a Windows based server (and full control over the server) you can install the indexer directly on the server and avoid uploads of index files. Otherwise you need to run the indexer on another Windows machine (e.g. your desktop machine), create an index, then upload it.

-----
        David

Comment

Working...
        X