Help with php script and database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with php script and database

With the dynamic index and the PHP script do I still create a directory for the indexed files AND what pages to upload to the site.

Because with the CGI, I had to upload everything. Also with the cgi I ran the script first on my pc.

But most of all. Is there a command to start the script remotely? If there is where do I find it? Does the same commands work for automating the indexing and the report.

I know you have the faq but I seem to be missing something.

Thanks
    momora
    momora
    inquiring mind?

I am a bit confused by your post. Are you referring to the search script (search.php), when you talk about 'the php script'?

The title of your post referred to a database. But the post itself doesn't mention anything about a database?

..do I still create a directory for the indexed files
    The files to be indexed would normally be part of a web site. They might or might not be in a sub-directory on your site. It doesn't really matter. It is up to you how you built your web site.

...what pages to upload to the site
    It is up to you what pages you put on your web site. Or are you referring to the Zoom index files here? The index files are automatically uploaded.

Is there a command to start the script remotely
    I don't understand the question. All PHP scripts are effectively started remotely. You enter in the URL to the script into a browser and the script runs.

----
    David

Comment

enter URL of script into a browser and the script runs?

I want to index specific directories from a mySQL database and PHP. So, are you saying that I should put the path to the script in the location bar like this: ../search.php/directory1 then the script will run?

The problem is that I do not understand the language of the user manual. I am looking at page 33 and I want to be clear: <<I must run the indexer on my pc the first time? Yes or no (I did that for the cgi) for a site; do I need to this for the PHP script?>>

What I don't get is after I upload all the files to the search directory on the server, where is the command that will start indexing and reporting on a certain schedule? I have looked in the ZoomIndexer and do not see it. I know there is something I am missing.

Also, when I modify the search page with my own headers and footers located in my includes directory (folder), do I need to put the search.php in the includes folder so I an call it like so:
      to insert it in my search.shtml?
      momora
      inquiring mind?

Comment

I want to index specific directories from a mySQL database and PHP...
        Do you mean 1) you have a list of directories to index and the list is held in a SQL database. 2) You want to index specific directories of HTML files and store the result in a SQL database. 3) You want to index content that is held in a SQL database using Zoom.

Option 2) is not possible using Zoom. SQL is not used nor required. Option 3) is possible, see this FAQ,
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_howto.html#sql

So, are you saying that I should put the path to the script in the location bar like this: ../search.php/directory1
        No. This will never work. I don't really know what you are trying to do and so it is unlikely I will give any good advice.

I must run the indexer on my pc the first time?
        Yes. From page 12 of the users guide, "The Zoom Indexer is a Windows application that scans your entire website and indexes the content and information it finds on each page. It will then create all the files you need to upload to your website, for you to have a running search engine."

What I don't get is after I upload all the files to the search directory on the server, where is the command that will start indexing
        You only upload the files to your server AFTER indexing is complete. You don't upload before indexing.

Details about wrapping the search output in your own headers and footers can be found here,
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_ssi.html
        All the search related files must be in the same directory.

-----
        David

Comment

Working...
        X