PDF only partially indexes, or partially searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF only partially indexes, or partially searches

When I run a search on a dozen PDF files, average size about 4Mb, it is finding words in the front of the document, but not if they appear towards the end.

I'm using Zoom 4.2 build 1013 in offline mode with the latest PDF plugin, and the limits look adequate. Any other suggestions?

Regards,
    Ian Tresman

It sounds like you have turned on the feature "Limit words per file" from the Limits tab in the Zoom configuration window. And then set the number of words too low for these large documents.

If these feature is not turned on, can you give us the URL to an example search on your site and the URL to the PDF file in question so that we can look at the problem in more detail.

Thanks
    David

Comment

For anyone else having a similar problem, technical support told me a cause, workaround and future solution:

Originally posted by Tech support
      "... have determined the cause of the problem.

"The problem is that the PDF plugin is returning incorrect output when Zoom requests meta information (which requires the PDF plugin to return HTML). Unfortunately, the content of your PDF document contain characters which could be mistaken for HTML code, and this causes Zoom to skip a portion of the page from indexing.

"If you turn off "Use meta information from plugin when available", you will avoid this problem, because Zoom will only request text information from the PDF plugin, and it will index it as plain text and not mistake the content for code.

"We will also fix this in the next version by adding some special handling for this scenario so that Zoom does not attempt to parse the HTML returned by the PDF plugin."
      Thanks guys!

Regards,
      Ian Tresman

Comment

Working...
      X