Need to create categories, but no pattern in url

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to create categories, but no pattern in url

I need to create categories, but the pattern in the url doesn't distinguish the categories.

For example:
    I have 1 PHP page for viewing a 'service' or a 'product' by passing an ID, i.e. view.php?id=100. view.php will select that record from the database and return the page. The page can display something like [Service] or [Product] based on one of the columns in the record.

Any ideas other than having to pass the category in the query string?

You could change your PHP script to generate slightly different links.

For example,
    view.php?id=100&cat=product
    view.php?id=100&cat=service

-------
    David

Comment

I have encountered similar situations on a few of my websites - pages that are already indexed and ranking pretty well in the SE (so I wouldn't want to risk losing that by changing the url) but won't fit in a "patern" for the categories feature.

It would be great if maybe, in version 5.0, we could manually add single urls (or maybe even spider starting points) to a particular category before spidering them - maybe when you click on "more" next to the url box, in the pop up form displayed, we could select the correct category (if needed) for that particular url (in version 5.0).

Comment

This type of solution (one category per start point) is not going to suit most people. But on the other hand it probalby isn't particaular hard to implement.

A more general solution is to place pages into categories based on URL (as is the case now) and meta data content (something we will look at).

------
        David

Comment

Working...
        X