Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning:Need guidance on how to make drop-down keywords

Learning:Need guidance on how to make drop-down keywords

(Not gonna write keyword BUT Drop-down menu & select keyword)

After searching search engine software for few hours, at last I found Wrensoft product which I think is great product! Before I decide to buy this product, I have some questions.

I need guidance on editing search page. I was thinking about making simple penpal or dating page. Just a simple one which based on java script. Every profile will be kept in HTML page. So the page required quick search like drop-down and select keyword; example, gender (female/male), ages range, country, state/province-- something like quicksearch that we can see at
    http://friendfinder.com or http://www.cupidbay.com .

Or something simple like this:
    Let say, I wanna search friend 'female' from 'Dallas' age '20' or in range '20-30'.
    So, in page search.html , there is form that I could fill, by write down the key words : 'female dallas 20' .
    But I prefer to select at drop-down menu and click -- than writing down the keywords. I would like to make sticky keywords at the form, by selecting the keyword from drop-down menu (example: keyword- female or male, dallas or other places, age 20 or other ages).

Here is my question...
    Anybody can tell me how to edit search page like this?

May I know, could it work in search.html which based on java script?

I am waiting for response and really appreciate it if anybody could give me guidance in making this kind of page.
    Thanks you very much.

I suspect you might be over simplifying the problem. What you need is not a free text search product like Zoom, but a full blown database solution with field based search.

There is no possible way you can replicate friendfinder or cupidbay using only Javascript and HTML. These sites would have taken many months of work by experienced developers in PHP, SQL and probably C++ (CGI).

To give an example of the problem with not having field based SQL style search. Imagine you search for 'Dallas'. You would find people from Dallas, but you would also find people from Russia who 'dream of visiting Dallas', people who 'follow the Dallas cowboys' and people who enjoy the TV show called Dallas, went to school in Dallas, don't like the Dallas weather, etc....

----
    David

Comment

Working...
    X